So...Cancer. Now What?




Wanted to start this blog off on a positive note- my doctor said that I'm doing so well, that he's moved my treatment up by an entire month. What does that mean? It means I've got 4 more treatments left, over the next 8 weeks. If things continue to go well, I will then have one month for bone marrow recovery and then my surgery.

My next 4 treatments will be interesting because I'm starting a new medication - taxol. From what I'm told, I shouldn't feel as nauseous, but I will be exceedingly sore. The best way to describe the soreness is, when you have a high fever and your skin crawls if someone so much as touches you. These days are rough for me, because holding my son becomes difficult. Crossing my fingers that these symptoms will be short lived!

Many of you don't know this, but when I was first diagnosed, my doctors were really searching for a reason why. Why would a 28 year old, healthy person get breast cancer? Because of this we opted to do some genetic testing to test for genetic mutations. This is when I found out that I carry what's called a BRCA 1 Genetic Mutation. At this time we are unsure whether it came from my Mom or Dad's side, although my surgeon is confident it came from my Dad's.

Because I have a genetic mutation, BRCA 1 in particular, I have an extremely large chance of breast cancer returning. This is the reason we have chosen to do a bilateral mastectomy. Both of my boobs with be GONEZO! This will greatly reduce my risk of ever getting breast cancer again, yay! Bring it on. I will get reconstructive surgery at the same time, and guess what? My hoo-has are gonna look better than when I started this thing.

Another implication of BRCA 1 is I also have a higher chance of getting ovarian cancer. Along with that, comes a higher chance of pancreatic cancer, colon and uterine cancer. Because of these chances, it has been suggested to me that I don't carry anymore children - this has been a tough pill to swallow, considering I just started my family! This will be a conversation and decision between myself, my husband, and our amazing team of doctors. I could be looking at a complete hysterectomy very, very soon.

Now, I know all of that sounds super daunting. But you know what? I've got an amazing support system. My family, plus an amazing team of doctors, including my awesome neurosurgeon brother-in-law, who are consistently making the right decisions to further my care. No matter what, I will get through this. Now I can see the light at the end of the tunnel-- Paige will be good as new by early April, and I'm SO GRATEFUL.

Comments

  1. Love this and love you! You are such an inspiration. Your courage and attitude never cease to amaze me :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Paige you don't know me but your Mom and I went to school in Shenandoah, good friends. I want you to know I pray for you, your family and your Mom. You are a fighter, I can tell. Continue with the positive attitude, I know you are going to BEAT this! God bless you, keep fighting the good fight.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My Favorite *AND LEAST FAVORITE* Month

War is Exhausting.

A Dismal Diagnosis Amidst My Greatest Joy