My Last Love Letter to the YMCA




This post is hard for me to even start, but I'll do my best.

Nearly 4 years ago I walked into the Foglia YMCA to interview for a position at the Front Desk. I was greeted with smiling faces, exuding warmth and love. I walked out that day and had a pretty good idea that I'd gotten the job. Not a week later and I was welcomed into the Foglia family. 

This is more than a building. This has been more than a job. I've met some of the most AMAZING, LOVING, COMPASSIONATE & LOYAL individuals. I can't tell you the feeling of relief when you know you're welcome there. It's almost immediate - it's evident to everyone walking in. As someone brand new to the state of Illinois, I was terrified of the idea of starting somewhere new. The second you walk in those doors, those feelings are immediately alleviated. 

These people are my family. They watched me spread my wings and move onto the Sage YMCA where I met more wonderful humans. They welcomed me back when it was my turn to take the Supervisor position behind the desk.

They found out that I was pregnant almost immediately. Too be fair, vomiting into your trashcan next to your desk everyday seems to be a dead giveaway, ha. They stood with me and helped me when I was feeling too sick to do much other than sit in my chair. 

When I was diagnosed with Cancer two years ago, I made 3 phone calls: My Husband, My Mom, and my Boss, Lois. That should speak volumes. Lois immediately flew into action and called on everyone in our building to build a shelter around me. They were and continue to be my biggest prayer warriors. 

During the absolute worst time in my life, these people made sure that my family and I were taken care of in every aspect. They sat with me at chemo, they delivered food 3 DAYS A WEEK for months, texted every day, visited me when I just needed someone to sit or pray with. 

I'm getting so emotional writing this letter because I have never felt such love besides from my own family. Leaving my family will be SO hard. 

Thank you to everyone in my YMCA family. Thank you for sticking by me, lifting me up when I was down, helping me recover and become a better mother. Thank you for supporting me when my anxiety became too much to carry. Thank you for the hugs, the letters, the smiles and the constant encouragement. 

I can honestly say that I will never forget you. I will never leave you, really. My heart will always be with you. 

I love you my friends. I love you, my family. 

Xoxo,

Paige

Comments

  1. Good Luck Paige! You truly are special!

    Amy Ooms

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My Favorite *AND LEAST FAVORITE* Month

War is Exhausting.

A Dismal Diagnosis Amidst My Greatest Joy