My Only Baby
When I look back at the events of the last 7 months, I can’t
help but be a little angry. My plan for life was so different. Andrew and I wanted
to buy a beautiful home, have at least 2 kids, a dozen dogs (ok, that was just
my dream…), and grow old together.
Well, cancer happens, I guess. After chemo I was officially
told that it would be unwise for me to carry anymore children. WTF? Seriously?
I’m a tad bitter, sorry.
While I know that I’m SO blessed to have Benny here (thank
god we got pregnant when we did), this was a huge blow to me. My whole life
changed in an instant. Although Andrew constantly reminds me that he is happy with how things turned out, I know he's secretly disappointed as well. I know he had other plans as well.
I started thinking about it more, and now I’ve changed my
frame of mind. Andrew and I are thinking now that we will adopt a child in the
future. I would’ve never thought about that if it weren’t for cancer. What a
beautiful thing- this opens up a whole new journey and possibilities for our
family.
Eventually, I want Ben to have a sibling. Andrew and I came
from families with lots of siblings, all of whom we love dearly and are a huge
part of who we are.
So, cancer, in a weird way, I guess I’m grateful for you.
Thank you for expanding my heart and my mind. I’m so excited about this new
journey we get to go on together because of you. Our dreams are still possible.
I hope that someday we can make the life of a child in need great. I hope we
can give them the world. I already know Ben will be the best big brother.
I hope that the adoption journey will be wonderful. I know
we are opening ourselves up to a lot of potential heart break, but eventually I
know we will be ready.
Benny won’t be my only baby. Someday, our hearts will be
ready for more love.
If you have any experience with fostering or adoption, I
would love to talk with you. We are trying to educate ourselves as much as
possible before we start this process.
As always, thanks for reading my little mumblings. Have a
blessed day!
Comments
Post a Comment